With the Christmas/New Year break coming to an end, it’s time to plan my next trip (I got the flight quote already and it ain’t cheap)! This trip will need a lot more preparation because I’ve never been to Latin America and I actually need visas this time (I thought I was immune to this shit being on an Australian passport!).
The bestie and I are stepping into the unknown and relying on my (lack of) Spanish to get us through Cuba and Argentina, and her (lack of) Portuguese to get us through Brazil.
Cuba is one of those places that’s been on my bucket list because I love love love salsa. I started Cuban salsa about 6 odd years ago and it’s just such a fun and sexy dance. Shaking the booty on the floor in a Cuban dance club is something I’ve always wanted to do and it helps that the mojito is one of my favourite cocktails. And that was it. The extent of my knowledge of Cuba; salsa, rum and cigars.
So in amongst all the research, I found these interesting facts about Cuba. The memory bank is blown away and thanks me.
1. La Habana Vieja (Old Havana) was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982. It is deemed the historic center of the Caribbean.
2. Cuba has a population of just over 11 million people. Say whattt? On that tiny island? It’s on par with Belgium and South Sudan. The ratio of men to women is roughly equal.
3. And the island is split up into 16 provinces. South Africa only has 9 provinces and the land is 11 times greater in square km.
4. The only communication between the U.S. and Cuba is via Switzerland. Some may blame the U.S. for the demise of the Cuban economy by stopping trade and tourism into Cuba; but Castro didn’t do Cuba any favours by committing human rights abuses against Americans who were still living in Cuba.
5. Andy García and Gloria Estefan both hail from Cuba.
[Source: Various sources]
Did you guys know this? Interesting isn’t it?