My first stop on my upcoming Latin America trip is Panama City. I am leaving in less than 2 weeks away and I haven’t done any planning yet (!!!). The extent of my knowledge of Panama includes the canal (watched it on Megastructures and it was freaking awesome!!!) and… that’s pretty much it. That’s pretty lame so I decided to research more about Panama and what I can expect.
1. Panama was voted as one of the hot holiday destinations for 2014. I don’t think it’ll stop there once everyone catches on.
2. Other than the Panama Canal, Panama is known for its’ mixed geography; mountains, hills, jungles and looong stretches of beach. I should know this because one of my friends has a beach house there!
3. Panama joined Colombia in 1821, and spent the next 82 years attempting to break away from their reign. (LOL?)
4. Only 80 kilometers of Panama separates the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
5. The national flower is the orchid (my favourite!) and is known as the Flower of the Holy Spirit.
[Source: Various sources]