I’m still freaking out about the lack of planning I have done for this upcoming trip, and since the only things I relate to Argentina are the Argentine tango, Malbec and steak, I thought I should do a bit more research. And this is what I found…
1. The name Argentina is derived from the Latin word Argentum, meaning silver. In 2012, Argentina was number 10 in the top 20 silver producing countries in the world. Australia is at 4.
2. The Tango originated in Buenos Aires and is influenced by African and European music styles. It started out as a dance between two men.
3. From a dance between two men, it soon became a man-woman couple dance. It follows the Viennese Waltz (1830s) and the Polka (1840s) as formal couple dancing styles.
4. Argentina was the first country to adopt fingerprinting as a method of identification. Juan Vecutich was a pioneer in fingerprinting evidence, and we can thank him for all the cool crime shows today.
5. Cuban revolutionary idol Che Guevara was born in Rosario, Argentina. MIND BLOWN.
[Source: Various sources]