I leave for Madagascar tomorrow and these are the only facts I know. God help me.
1. Madagascar is the 4th largest island in the world.
2. The first settlers came all the way from Southeast Asia. They were joined by migrants from Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.
3. Madagascar is a French colony hence French is one of two official languages. Malagasy is the other official language.
4. Madagascar is not only about lemurs. What?! There are birds, mongooses, rats, frogs and all sorts.
5. Madagascar produces 65 – 80% of the world’s vanilla. The price of vanilla spiked to $500/kg after bad weather and political instability hit Madagascar between 2000 and 2004.
[Source: Lonely Planet]
Back to learning French… Au Revoir!